Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

So what do you do for your dog when it's 106 degrees outside? You make him a GIANT ice cube! A little while back I purchased this nifty "Kool Dogz" ice treat maker from Fetchdog.com. Haggie loves it! He just kept licking, and licking, and licking...
...and licking, and licking!! The "bowl" is made so that it stakes into the ground, so you avoid that slippity-slidey-dirty-grassy-slide-around-the-lawn-mess. Plus, the bowl catches the melted part, giving him ice cold drinking water. I love that it's also designed so that you can freeze treats and toys in the ice!

Here, Haggie's come up for air... don'tcha just love that big black gum drop nose?! He really enjoyed this fun treat.
Now, how about a summer treat for me?
Mmmmm... a fresh, heirloom tomato salad! This is my favorite summer salad. No big recipe, just slice up your favorite heirloom tomatoes (I used Green Zebra and Purple Russian that I grew, and one red unknown heirloom from the store). Then add sliced red onion, chopped basil, and blue cheese crumbles. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar and some olive oil on top. Maybe sprinkle some fresh ground pepper and salt, and yummmmm! It's an easy, great salad!
I hope you are all staying cool, and enjoying the good things that summer brings!
Hugs,

13 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Someone was thinking when they came up with the ice treat maker...clever product. Your salad is making me hungry...really hungry. Too close to bedtime to make one like that...perhaps tomorrow for dinner.

Leslie said...

What a sweet doggy!!! And your salad....oh my, it looks DELISH!

Kim said...

That is the coolest thing ever! Lucky Haggie! Your treat looks pretty darn good too-yum!

Caseymini said...

What a clever idea for the doggie's treat. That salad looks wonderful! The two of you are all set for summer.

Claudia said...

Now, that is a fabulous idea! Oh, Hagrid must be in heaven!

xo
Claudia

Lisa said...

Ooh, what a neat dog-gadget! I'll have to order one for Lola & Butch. It was so nice finally getting to meet that big ball of a fluffy, happy dog-child!

Your salad looks divine!
Nom, nom, nom...
L

Gilly Tee said...

Ice lollies for dogs, how cool.
Gillx

Claire said...

I couldn't find this site. Is fetchdog.com right?

Jill said...

Ooops. You are right. It should have read Fetchdog.com :) I'll have to change that--
Thanks,
Jill

kimsminiatures said...

You are so awesome Jill. I love people who love their pets this much. Love your favorite summer salad too. Big hugs for you my lovely friend~ Kim

Lynne said...

Oh, delicious and fun for you both!

suzitee said...

What a fantastic idea Jill! Love that it doesn't slip and slide around...just brilliant!

claudine hellmuth said...

awww love the pup-cicle! I should get one of those for Maggie!