Monday, March 29, 2010

No More Tangles

When I was a little girl, my mom braided my hair everyday. And when I say everyday, it was everyday. I have naturally curly hair, and in the '70's that just wasn't proper in my mom's eyes. She didn't want me running around like one of those hippies with frizzy hair. In her defense, there just weren't any good hair products back then. It was Johnson's No More Tangles and Dippity- Doo. We went through bottles and bottles of Johnson's No More Tangles. After detangling, she would brush my hair with the pink brush (from Avon, or Fuller Brush), wetting the brush under the faucet between brushing. Sometimes she would put Dippity-Doo on my bangs and tape them down with that old-fashioned pink tape. After they would dry, she'd peel the tape off. Needless to say, my bangs would go boing into a wavy, frizzy mess within minutes. She tried her darnedest. The one good thing about having the curly hair though was that at the end of the braid, after putting the hair thingies in (we called them "baubles"-- they were those elastics with marbles on the end) she would wet the pink brush again and brush my hair around her fingers again for instant ringlets.
In this square, I tried to capture my two braids as I wore them as a little girl. Although I didn't do the ringlets on the ends, I still love how it turned out. Oh- and that necklace I'm wearing? It's one of those candy necklaces that get all sticky and leave a rainbow of colors on your neck-- because let's face it, those little candies didn't last long once you started tasting them! My little sister and I loved wearing those!

Okay, no story for this square... just a random pattern. I've just been calling it a "fishnet pattern".

You know I love rickrack by now. I saw a similar square in the Flickr group and thought I'd try to duplicate it somewhat.
A pink tiara with some sparklie beads-- 'cuz I love me some sparkle! I've never been in or won a beauty pageant, but I can appreciate a good tiara when I see one. I bought one when I turned forty-- because I realized I could. I use to make every friend who walked in the door wear it for a picture. It was so cute to see their expressions when they put it on-- it's like, kinda' magical in an inner-child, little girl kinda' way. A little felt heart-- I've been dyin' to stitch a blanket stitch! I love blanket stitching-- it's so fun, and looks so finished! I tried to do a little scandinavian-ish pattern inside, in tribute to the Danish roots on my mom's side.
Well, I'm still behind but I feel like I've made some headway. I'm loving this project. It's been so fun, and I've got to tell you-- your comments totally make my day!
Hugs,

16 comments:

The French Bear said...

Jill, I love the braids!!! If anything inspires me to do this embroidery, I would say that this one square does for sure!!!! Although I do love all your squares, what beautiful stitches!!!!
You all look like you are having such fun!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Carey said...

Hi Jill,
Wow, the hair and the braids are awesome. Are you using a book for all of your wonderful ideas? Your work is just so beautiful, I am so awestruck.
The way you did the back of the hair and the braids is inspiring, and the story is lovely. I always wanted to do a crazy quilt so I am trying to practice some couching and border stitches in my squares. Love checking out your squares. Have a great day and thanks for the inspiration.
Carey

Jill said...

Hello friends,
Thanks so much for your sweet comments! You make my day!
Carey, to answer your question-- I just bought an embroidery book, "Embroidered Effects" by Jenny Hart this past weekend. I haven't tried any of the new stitches yet though! I tend to use really simple stitches-- I'm looking forward to learning some fancy ones! I kind of made up the "fishnet" stitching, but I'm sure I'm not the first! It just kind of evolved. I was originally going for a plaid, and then I changed my mind!
Hugs,
Jill

dalesdreams said...

This is really sweet, I appreciate the history that goes with it. :)

I remember the no more tangles, no more tears. :)

cherished*vintage said...

Your no more tangles is the cutest square I've ever seen! Oh my gosh, it is too cute!! I've admired your stitching all along. Beautiful!
-Karoline

Anne said...

Your lovely braids is absolutely darling! Your heart, possibility and Hagrid inspired creations are favs also... enjoying all your creative cleverness!

{-A-}

Anonymous said...

All of your squares are gorgeous, but those braids really are something else!

Cheers,
Cate

Claudia said...

Jill - brilliant. The braids are brilliant - I am in awe. Love, love them.

I saw your comment about - I bought the same book about a week ago! I haven't used a lot from it yet, but it is really neat, isn't it?

xo
Claudia

Kathy said...

I love your stitching and the wonderful stories around each piece.

suzitee said...

Jill...you've outdone yourself with those braids! I love love love the story behind the block...this can be such a meaningful project if you want it to be :) All your squares are delightful...I love it when you add them to the flickr group, they are very inspiring!

in vogue said...

Can you see the smile on my face? It's there if you squint and look @ through the computer screen with your superpowers..my wondertwin! The braids and heart are favorites! You're so polished in your stitched and the Pink Tiara is a must see for you...love it all Jill!
You're the best!

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh! My friend told me about your blog from the 39 squares project -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE your squares!!! They're all so adorable and creative!!!

Tania Pelletier said...

BRAIDS!!! I love that square!

Tania

Auntie Cake said...

Jill~
That is adorable!!! Adorable! I love it, it wins the prize for the most creative and sweet square, for sure. Love it!
Kate

Beedeebabee said...

Jill, your stitching is just so beautiful! I'm in love with this 39squares project! ;) Paulette

dawnkristine said...

Your blessings are coming along beautiful! I Love the braids!!!!